In honor of Her Royal Highness Princess Basma Bint Talal’s long and continuous efforts in development work for over four decades, The Jordanian Hashemite Fund for Human Development launched an annual prize in May 2011 with the aim to develop and motivate development work in communities at the national level “Princess Basma Award for Development and Community Service.”
Goals of the Award
The aim of the award is to honor development efforts and to encourage creativity and excellence in the field of development work.
Award theme of 2019
In the view of the importance of social leadership in creating positive change in the people throughout the local communities in general and young people in particular. The goal is to motivate them to further develop their innovations and in which the committee in which decided on “Entrepreneurship” as the main theme and the introduction of social entrepreneurship afterwards.
Marking International Youth Day, 100 participants, specialist, and experts in the field will be organized under the annual forum “Ebtekarthon”, a three day competition in which provides the participants with the personal and technical skills essential to developing their enterprises.
Social Enterprise Defined
“Social enterprises are businesses that investigate social problems with a view to finding solutions to them for community development, job creation and / or training, or contribute to the protection of the environment.
Supervision of the Award
The award is supervised by a committee that includes experts from The Jordanian Hashemite Fund for Human Development as well as experts and individuals with experience in the field from outside of the fund. The committee consult the experts in the field to ensure that the standards match the work.
- The forms will be accepted from an individual, or group, or company of all ages.
- If a group, the participants should be between 1-3 members and mentioned in the form.
- The aspiration of the entrepreneurs to enter the social enterprise on their existing work or on the first model of their work, and submit the necessary plan for this (by filling out the application form on the following link).
- The enterprise shall be in place and working or the initial model shall be completed, functioning effectively and providing evidence thereof.
- Full time commitment of all team members participation in the forum during the duration August 3 to 5 2019.
- Parental concept if any of the participants are under the age of 18.
- The Prize Committee is entitled to use images and recordings of the enterprises and any relevant activities and to publish them through various media outlets.
Entrepreneurs wishing to be nominated in the forum as individuals, group, or companies must fill in the online form found on the website at: www.pbaward.org no later than Saturday 27/7/2019 before 3:00 PM. Any applications after this date will not be accepted. Candidacy for single enterprise is limited to more than one applicant.
The award committee will evaluate the leading enterprise according to the following criteria:
- The enterprise should include a clear social message which contributes to a social cause.
- Generate the majority of their income through trade rather than grants. The majority of the profits of the enterprise’ financial work have been obtained through the business and not through grants or supporters.
- To reinvest 20-40% of the profits of the enterprise in order to benefit the community issue that it adopts
- Be accountable and transparent
- Distinguish the proposed plan and its implementation mechanisms
- Achieving concrete results for the enterprise
- Procedures exist to ensure the sustainability and development of the enterprise
- Taking gender into consideration
- The entrepreneurial work should be environmental friendly
Selecting the winning enterprise
- The right to accept or reject the applications in accordance with the criteria set by the committee
- Reception of applicants by the Princess Basma Award Committee for Development and Community Service
- Sorting and classifying advanced applications
- The committee may consult with persons who are aware of and familiar with the enterprise and their opinions.
- Selection of enterprise that meet the requirements of the award and inform the owners to participate in the forum.
- Selection of leading enterprise with the highest rating during the forum to proceed to other stages of the evaluation process.
- Following the evaluation phase and the selection of the eligible applicants, the committee has the right to assign a team to undertake a field visit to learn more about the reality of entrepreneurship.
- Entrepreneurs may be asked to make a detailed presentation at JOHUD center in Amman in front of the committee.
- Final evaluation of the list of applications based on the results of the field visit and/or presentations
- The selection of the winner enterprises and the announcement in a special award ceremony
The top three enterprises will be awarded a grant following the rating process and will be honored at a special ceremony sponsored by Her Royal Highness Princess Basma Bint Talal:
- First Prize: 10 000 JD
- Second Prize: 7000 JD
- Third Prize: 5000 JD
The winning enterprise will be provided with a year of help and support to ensure that their enterprises succeed and are implemented on the ground.
Mechanism of Receipt of Prizes
- The amounts will be provided to the winners in stages according to the work plan that has been prepared.
- The amount of grant required to support and develop the enterprise is required.